JOIN the RFA Today!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Spanish Mackerel on the Fly



Spanish Mackerel on the Fly

Armed with a 9 weight outfit, a couple of bags of chum and a beautiful day ahead of us, Allen from Maine and I headed out of Islamorada, Florida in search of Spanish on the fly. Bob Clouser had recommended to Allen to look me up if I really wanted to experience the whole world of fly fishing saltwater. To me this was quite a complement and one to which I wish to thank him for. 
 

Looking for a blitz or diving to circling birds, we search the surface of the light choppy waters off the key, in my 24 foot Sea Hunter. This time of year you could easily be in a flats boat on the inshore of the offshore as days, like today are more often than not with light breezes and a one foot sea. Not finding any surface baits to throw at, I found a piece of rocky bottom, just off a patch reef. We began to chum the area and...