JOIN the RFA Today!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tied Flies



And we do not mean a pesky little fly caught in the act of eating my sandwich, arrested and tied up for execution.



We mean Hand Tied Fishing Flies for catching Fish. For a number of years I spent time in Central and South America, then later all over Africa. There wasn't much to do out there, besides my work, so I gathered hairs to feathers and tied flies to pass the time away.



Later on, when living here in Florida, I found a couple of my Tupper-ware containers, to which contained all these insects I had tied many moons past.



Some, the hooks had rusted away and I had, Ha-Ha-Ha, barbed-less hooks on rather beautiful flies with an eye to tie but no hook. I put them aside until of late, as I pulled out my late father’s old Cortland center pin reel with its St. Regis Bamboo fly rod. Together, I was matched to catch fish, saltwater to freshwater.



Being older now and my fingers are not as limber, not to mention I can spot a pod of Tarpon at 200 yards away but cannot for the life of me see what I am writing without my glasses; hence, no more new flies.



Here are but a few more unnamed little guys you might like to see, that is if you too are into tied flies.




These others were tied while attending University at USF in Tampa; making them a bit newer:
















There are a bunch more, but I have not the time to show, I got to Fly.

"FISH ON!"

No comments: